Shangri La

Shangri La

Thursday, March 26, 2009

The Writer's Cabin...Uh, I mean Gardening Shed

LSW here. This is what I woke up to on Saturday:

1) An old lady knocking on my door, newspaper in hand, pointing at a classified ad. "Where's the tag sale?" she demanded. After I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes and focused, I saw that there was an ad for a tag sale at Same-Number-House-Similarly-Named-Street. After explaining (quite firmly) that no, there really wasn't a tag sale here, she left grumbling as another car pulled up. Clearly I was going to have to post a sign: "NO tag sale here!"

2) As she left, I couldn't help but spy the ginormous stack of lumber in the driveway and this in the backyard:

Hmmm.


To be fair, the Vermonster had come home the night before and divulged his latest scheme: build a garden shed in the backyard as a test-run for the cabin.

I think he expected me to balk at the idea, but frankly I thought it was a great idea, as long as I didn't have to do anything.

I've got to give the Vermonster credit: he has the stamina of a work horse. He was out there from 7 a.m. til 5 p.m., hammering, measuring, measuring, measuring, taking notes. I'll leave all the technical stuff to him; all I can say is I now I have a perfectly level rectangle in my backyard that's just waiting for some walls and windows and such. It's a start.

Meanwhile, I thought for sure that someone searching for the tag sale would think they'd stumbled upon some free lumber, so we eventually moved it into the garage.

I know the plan is that this is supposed to be our gardening shed, but I'm thinking it would make an awful nice Room of One's Own. We'll see how much sway I have in this relationship.

No comments: